Home > About Us > Our History
  • Our History

    Growing with the Community

    Originally chartered in 1950 as Peoples Bank & Trust Company, we’ve been serving the needs of families and businesses in Taney County ever since. Ben Parnell was our founder and visionary, and in 1955, he handed the dream off to his son Ben Parnell, Jr., who became president and CEO. That was a fortuitous year for the community because it marked the beginning of construction on Table Rock Dam, an event that had a profound and long-lasting impact on the region’s future.

    Our very first business loan went to another visionary, Mary Herschend, who, together with her sons, dreamed of a small collection of shops that took visitors to Marvel Cave back to the lifestyles and skills of the 19th Century. That dream eventually became Silver Dollar City, one of today’s foremost attractions in the Midwest.

    In 1961, Peoples Bank took a huge step and opened its first remote drive-in bank. All around, tourist oriented businesses were popping up. Music shows, craft shops, cafes, and motels were all catering to curious visitors to these tucked-away hills and valleys. First Union Bancorp of St. Louis purchased the fledgling Peoples Bank in 1967, and a few years later, named Smith W. Brookhart president and CEO. In 1975, our first “bank of wheels” opened to serve the businesses on West Highway 76 where all the action was taking place. In 1980, we took on a new name: Centerre Bank of Branson. Our downtown Hollister bank opened that year.

    Branson’s reputation was growing at full speed, and in 1987 Good Morning America was telecast live from Silver Dollar City. The following year, we joined the Central Bancompany family of Missouri banks and changed our name to Ozark Mountain Bank. Things were only beginning to boom for Branson, and for Ozark Mountain Bank. The 60 Minutes broadcast kicked off a gold rush of new businesses and new visitors to the area, and Ozark Mountain Bank quickly outgrew its location. We began construction on our current location in 1991 and made it our home the following year. By then, many internationally known stars also began calling Branson home.

    By 1997, we had built a network of drive-ins and lobbies seven-strong, including a branch in Stone County. C. Craig Richards was named president and CEO the following year, a position he continues to hold today. We are proud of our history of serving our customers, and we invite you to come in and visit with any of our representatives to find out for yourself what old fashioned personal service is all about.